BIKE INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
BICP L1 (includes Ride Leader Course)
Hosted by Sweet Riders
BICP Level 1 Certification Fundamental Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
Cost: $650 CAD registration includes the cost of the online Ride Leader Certification course. (more info on RLC here)
(NOTE: the checkout on the BICP registration page shows the fees in USD. Your final CAD amount may vary depending on the daily exchange rates, and there are added Canadian Stripe Fees/Credit Card Fees of up to 2.5%)
Dates & Locations:
May 1st – 3rd, 2021 at the Edmonton Ski Club, Edmonton, AB.
May 22 – 24th, 2021 at the Blairmore Skills Park, Crowsnest Pass, AB.
Current BICP Ride Leaders should contact administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering
Details on annual dues and policies to maintain this certification can be found at https://icp.bike/policies
There are many aspects to teaching mountain biking: planning and preparation, risk management, clear communication with students, managing a group of riders, and being fully confident in your own understanding and demonstration of the Fundamental Elements. With the solid foundation covered in the Ride Leader Certification, you are ready to focus on developing your skills instruction. The skills portion of this course takes you through 16 different skills.
This course introduces stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, teaching points, keywords, progressions, and error detection for 16 skills.
You may be asked to demonstrate teaching proficiency on any/all of the skills presented in the manual.
We will expect that you are comfortable and fluent with all current keywords and teaching points along with proper demonstrations and progressions performed using FLAT PEDALS.
Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must pass a pretest, demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a final written exam.
The Level 1 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 1 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position and Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles and Switchbacks
- Rock Dodge
- Climbing Dismount
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Descending Dismount
- Descending for Beginner to Intermediate trails
- Roll Down
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
This certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person recertification course is required every 4 years.